Monday, August 6, 2007

No Need to Retract: A Summer Flanked by Fisk and Schultz

You know you’re having one shad lav (very good) summer when you get the opportunity to hear two fabulously inspiring journalists speak. Not just those big writers who use big words and drive in big cars with tinted windows. I’m talking about the field mice of journalism: the people who scuttle about, sniff around and see the story first hand. It was a mouse, after all, got that thorn out of the lion’s paw.

I started off my post-college career with a rousing graduation speech courtesy of Connie Schultz (The Plain Dealer). I am happy to say that I’ve been asking the wait staff at all establishments if they keep their tips ever since. Baristas in Starbuck’s smile more, believe me.

Flash forward to next inspiring journalistic talk: A group of us cabbed over to the American University in Yerevan to seize the unparalleled honor of seeing Robert Fisk (The Independence) speak last Thursday. Mr. Fisk did a great job of telling things in the nitty gritty style for which he is so esteemed. And he’s honest, to boot. In the air during the 9/11 attacks, he admits that even his racist stripes slithered out into the open as he identified 14 sketchy characters on the plane on which he was flying. There they were, he says, “looking suspiciously at Bob, because Bob was looking suspiciously at them.” Sometimes people stare because you stare back. Haskatsa (Understood), Mr. Fisk.

Now, forgive my nostalgic indulgence as I depart in just over a week. What was it that Neville Chamberlain once called Czechoslovakia, RF? Oh yes, “a faraway country of which we know little.” Armenia, for most of us, is just this. For me, the distance has shrunk like saran wrap in the microwave- rapidly and accompanied by the smell of burning plastic (thank you, Yerevan Sanitation Department). Here’s hoping that some of my words brought Hayastan a little closer to home for you, too.

Just in passing, I’d also like to mention that we saw an Armenian dance troupe perform on the side of a mountain beside a castle this Saturday as the sun shone down in buckets. That was shad lav too.

Drenched with Light (and Sun) in August,

Samantha

5 comments:

Weatherization Skillshop said...

It's rainy in Vermont (feels good to see and hear the rain after a week of powerful sunshine) and I'm busy back at work. But had to check in for my Sam fix!

Robert Fisk is a helluva writer. We've been reading his work for years and his external perspective on the US (he's been an ex-pat for a long time) is really appreciated.

You'll have to tell me about the tips and the Plain Dealer person when you come to visit!

Love you,
Auntie Liz

Unknown said...

I feel closer to Armenia than ever before and more protective, in a way, of a people I am connected to first by love, then by blood.

Thank you for your colorful portrait of its land, air, people and heart. I hold the vision of Mt. Ararat in my mind's eye and your sweet face in my heart.

Can't wait to see you up close and in person.

Much love,
Mama

Dockie said...

Dear Sam, Had to get our car serviced this morning and while waiting told several other people of my "grand"daughter in Armenia and her experience with no water after 9 p.m. They couldn't believe it. Hot, humid in East Haven and we are going to take a cooling dip now. Love you, Dockie

Paula said...

Hi Samantha,

I am lucky to be taken along on this exciting adventure with you through your blog! Love knowing what you are up to. Take care, Paula

Theo said...

Hi Sam
Robert Fisk is in a class by himself...He is a gifted orator and tells it like it is. Yes you have been blessed in hearing the truth over and over again without CNN.Love Dad