Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I'll End with Etimology

Last night I had the long awaited meeting with a representative from the field hockey league here in Armenia. There are 11 teams, two of which play in Yerevan. There is a girl's league and a men's league. This meeting was a triumphant moment. So triumphant, in fact, that few things bothered me at all. I didn't care that the grass in Republic Square was being watered by a level 5 rapid-strength stream of water (so Armenians have the tendency to use as much water as they can during the six hours of flowing water a day, so they choose to water he grass in the blazing sun). I didn't care at all that the air stood still last night as I lay in my twin sized bed with Looney Tunes sheets, a big plastic yellow moon glowing eerily above my head. I had found field hockey in Armenia- the attainment of a month long goal. Triumphant.

Other triumphs: Hayastan beat Derry in a Champion's league soccer match last night. Armenians love when their team wins. I understood my landlady when she called to ask what time I would be coming home from work yesterday evening (i told her five because i couldn't figure out how to say 5:30 on demand).

Now, the words: In Armenian, Khoti Hoki is the transliterated translation for grass (or field) hockey.

I don't know about your ears, but every time I hear someone say Khoti Hoki, my mind begins to make connections. For example, doesn't Khoti Hoki sound an awful lot like hottie hockey. Do a little switcharoo and you've got a hockey hottie!

The subtitlies of languages here are constantly tricking me into thinking that I'm hearing english when someone's speaking armenian, french when someone's speaking russian. I go bonkers. But this is one slippery language slope i'm happy to slide right down.

To all the hockey hotties playing khoti hoki in Armenia. I can't wait.

Samantha

1 comment:

Theo said...

Hi Sammy
What a great way to awaken to the world today. popped open the computer and went to visit you and couldn't stop laughing. You are the best. The bingo vision of the world is priceless. Without a mouthgard perhaps a few orange skins will suffice. Love Monopoly