Thursday, June 21, 2007

Let sleeping (Armenian) dogs lie

Jet lag does have some perks- like waking up at 7 am without setting an alarm clock. This morning, taking advantage of the fact that I don't have to be at work until 10, I suited up to go for a run. The city is quiet in the morning. Just a few old ladies sweeping the sidewalks with brooms as tall as toddlers. Making my way down the 10 flights of stairs, I thought of how simple and beautiful everything is during the early hours. I took off to the left, heading towards Mashtots Street down the alley near my apartment. A few early risers, sun streaking on the back of buildings, and then dogs- 6, 10, I'll probably remember it as 20- dogs, barking and running toward me. My enjoyment of the early mornning solitude, it seems, had ruined it for the canines. I didn't know what to do. I put my hands up. I backed away slowly. Somehow, my reaction to someone pointing a gun and a pack of mangy street dogs is the same.

I survived the onslaught unscathed. I found my way to Cascade- the most beautiful set of stairs I've ever seen- thick with grass and marble, it gives a stunning view of this city in flux.

from ATDA office,

Samantha

5 comments:

Weatherization Skillshop said...

You go girl!

Have you a camera? Wilt thou be posting photos?

I love the reaction to the dogs. I feel the same way about advertising salespeople.

I better go check out your links so I can "place" you in my mind. What's the time difference? What's the weather like? Qs, Qs, many Qs

Unknown said...

Feral dogs? Glad you were so level-headed and backed away... you know how much I love the canine group (not!)

Getting a better visual of the city. Keep the stories coming and remember that the heroine always has trials to overcome.

Much love,
Mama

Theo said...

Gee Sam I feel like a failure ... I forgot to tell you that dogs rule in asia. They bark all night... well at least you're able to sleep. or maybe not, could be thats why your blog entrees are in the AM. Oh by the way bears rule in National Parks. Love Theo

Samantha said...

ah- the dogs were an experience. I do have a camera and will put up some pictures as soon as 1) i find an internet connection that lasts longer than 10-15 minutes 2) i figure out how said posting is possible.



all my love,
Sam

Marge Kyrkostas said...

Garabed, Haiganoush, Hagop, Gohar, Mariam, George and of course Jack and Mark are looking down and smiling with joy. Oh! and Mary and William, Fanny and George are smiling from Greek heaven. You have added a dimension of loving to my life that "I probably deserved" (hahaha) Do'n forget to look at the stars.
LOve, yaya