Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Little Armenian Kids Playing with Guns Again

For the second day in a row, I walked by a little boy- no older than 6 or 7- twirling what I can only hope was a very real looking toy gun. Walking around unkempt and unholstered, he strutted around seeing what kind of looks he could get from passersby. Or, rather, that's what I would have hoped his face said as I eyed him- a dangerous endeavor while crossing a busy street- on the corner of Amiryan and Republic Square. The truth is he was just walking along, gun in his right hand, his left tucked deep into Grandma's bear paw, as she pulled him down the street. Gimme a break, I thought, how can this country start them on guns so young!

Walking from lunch yesterday, my co-worker Christina and I were appalled at the sight of two red-shirted boys running with traffic along side the careening taxis and Soviet Lada's. It looked as if they were running with the bulls in Pamplona right here on Nalbandyan. (A side note: the googleBeta translator considers "cow chasing in Pamplona" to be an accurate translation for this Spanish spectacle). As the boys turned around, heading toward the next group of cars who chose (because it is a choice here) to stop at the red light, we were granted understanding. Coca-Cola, it said on their backpacks. The boys were walking (or more accurately running) advertisements. There they were: 15 year old boys hawking their wares up and down the median.

This was my first look at hot summer solicitation. Odds are things will continue. My instinct is to berate anyone and everyone about the dangers of running through traffic and playing with guns. But what kind of example is my country setting? Our guns may be neon instead of silver colored, but we have video games where car theives can drive into a dark alley and have their way with hookers. Sometimes I find "car chasing" a more constructive pasttime. But that's just me.

All the best from the ATDA office,

Samantha

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And as far as selling Coke goes, the Americans can easily find the logo on everything from college stadiums to streets in Sudan. The Coca-Cola company is the largest drinks selling company in the world. So, it only makes sense (or nonsense, depending on your choice of beverages and investments...)that Armenia is right in tune with the rest of the world. Not a bad place to be. "It's the real thing."

Happily sipping tap water in NY...

Mama

Gregarious said...

eh, I don't know. The faker looking guns seem less deliberate, less harmful. Those toys are super real looking, they freaked me out too. I'm not saying that we're better in America, maybe just that there no one would say that it was only ok because it was a toy gun.