Thursday, July 5, 2007

Perfecting the Parasol at 105 in the shade

I brought my umbrella to work this morning. There is no chance of rain because three news channels this morning (the Armenians, the Russians and the CNNs) assured sunny skies and could-fry-an-egg-on-it noontime heat. I hear there are websites were I can type in 39°C and find out what I already know: that because Yerevan is in the valley, surrounded by peaks on all sides, the heat smacks down on us like warm towels straight from the dryer, producing heat that produces heat that leaves me eyeing my umbrella longingly.

I brought it to the beach (do I dare not qualify? the beach= Lake Sevan, Armenia’s waterfront paradise of sorts) yesterday, too. I tell people that I’m bringing it along to ward off the rain. If I don’t bring it, it will rain. If I leave it home, along comes a downpour. This is sounder logic than it should be. But I lie; I’m not tempting the rain gods. I’m simply waiting from the right moment. I could eat ice cream every day until the cows come home but true hayastansi status cannot be realized until I open up my umbrella. The parasol: ultimate expression of summer assimilation. I watch young and old women walking down the street, parasols poised and elegant on their shoulders. To be one of them would be like joining the ranks of the ladies who lunch, those gloriously lock-jawed, blue-haired denizens of tact, style and femininity (a l’Armenienne, of course). The temperature is rising; my thumb worries the umbrella’s button and I wish I were walking 105° in the shade.

Wishing Happy Independence from the ATDA office,

Samantha

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Better to have the parasol than the sunburn or the heat stroke. The relief of rain is on the way...

Much love ,
Mama

Unknown said...

I'm leaving my first post here to show my full support of assimilating to life in armenia through your use of the parasol. it has been six days since i fell asleep reading by the pool, on my stomach--at 3:30, mind you. i'm beginning to fear that the horrible stretching feeling along the back of my legs and sensitivity to the touch is a sign of permanent damage. if only i had had a parasol on that severe uv-levels day, then perhaps i wouldn't have had to wear cargo pants all week.